Follow Me! Pretty Please?

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Another Round of Catch-up!


Y’all, this is hard.  I have fallen too far behind to do full-on entries at this point, so another game of catch up.  Here are some of my favourite movies:


#339: Finding Neverland (2004).
Who’s in it?  Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet, and a whole cast of awesome supporting characters. 

What’s it about?  J.M. Barrie, the man who wrote Peter Pan, and his relationship with Sylvia Llewelyn Davies and her family, who were the inspiration for Peter Pan

Why do I love it?  Most people swoon all over Johnny Depp, or coo over the kids, but me?  I love this for a myriad of reasons.  One, the story and the setting.  I love hearing about how great works were created, and turn of the century London is gorgeous.  Also, Kate Winslet.  I have a huge lady crush on Kate Winslet.  She is beautiful, talented, and dead-on in this role.  She plays Sylvia with a great amount of joy and strength, and playfulness and love.  The portrayal of Sylvia is crucial – if she wasn’t played just right, she would have come off as either pitiful or a homewrecker, and she is neither. 
This is definitely a teer-jerker movie, so have your tissues handy!

****************************************************************************************************

#338: The Day After Tomorrow (2004).
Who’s in it? Lord, who isn’t in it?  You’ve got Dennis Quaid, Jake Gyllenhall, my Emmy Rossum (so much hotness in one sentence…) and a whole bunch of “Hey! It’s that guy!” and people we know, like Ian freaking Holm. 

What’s it about?  The end of the world, this time with frost!  Yep, the climate is changing, and the world is about meet its cold, cold demise.

Why do I love it?  I have no freaking clue.  I have these movies that I call “Sunday afternoon movies”.  They are the ones that I pop in when I just want to chill out on a lazy Sunday afternoon.  This is one of them.  As a rule, I think disaster movies are a hoot, and this one is especially fun.  They have to out run frost.  And wolves.  So much win.  The plot isn’t anything really new, the effects are pretty damn impressive, and the characters are likable enough that you’re ok with them surviving.  Go into it with low expectations, and you enjoy it.



***********************************************************************************************

#337: Snakes on a Plane (2006).
Who’s in it?  Samuel L. Jackson.  A bunch of other people, too, but mostly just Samuel L. Jackson.

What’s it about?  Ummm… see, there are snakes.  They’re on this plane.  They wreak havoc.  The end.

Why do I love it?  Like most people, my interest was piqued by the title.  And the fact that Samuel L. Jackson was not only starring in it, but he himself was sold on the title.  It’s so absurd, you can’t not love it.  The movie tries to give us a viable explanation for why the snakes are on the plane, but really nobody cares.  It is a roller coaster ride, it doesn’t really take itself too seriously, and you’ve got the now infamous line “I am tired of these motherfuckin’ snakes on these motherfuckin’ plane!”  The best part about that line?  There was a fan video made with that line before the movie came out.  They went back and added that line to appease the fans.  Motherfuckin’ awesome.  If you don’t mind horror or snakes, watch it.  Just don’t expect too much!


***********************************************************************************************
 #336: Calamity Jane (1953).
Who’s in it?  Doris Day, Howard Keel, and a bunch of other people.

What’s it about? Calamity Jane and her life in the wild west.  Set to music.  Mostly, it’s about Doris Day being awesome.

Why do I love it?  Doris Day.  Doris Day.  Oh, and Doris Day.  OK, no seriously.  The music is great, the production value is on the low side, but it still looks good, and it is an overall fun movie.  This was one of my favourite movies growing up, the first I ever saw Doris Day in, and is the film that I most associate her with.  It really is weird seeing her all dolled up in a dress sometimes… Don’t expect an accurate history lesson here, folks, just go with the fun!
 ***********************************************************************************************

#335: Annie (1982).
Who’s in it? Aileen Quinn, Albert Finney, Ann Reinking, Bernadette Peters, Tim Curry and Carol Burnett.  Like, wow.

What’s it about?  Based on the Broadway musical which is based on Depression-era comic books about a little red haired orphan who gets adopted by a billionaire.  That’s really all you need to know.

Why do I love it?  Well, for starters, look at the freaking cast.  This movie is what started my life-long adoration of Carol Burnett, and every time I see Ann Reinking I see her as Grace.  This is also one of the movies I watched non-stop when I was a kid.  I had the little red dress Annie wears at the end.  It is why I wanted to be a redhead.  I insisted that people call me Annie at one point.  The music is great, the performances amazing, and on its own it is a great movie.  Just don’t compare it to the stage play, because then you’re in for a world of hurt, because truly the stage play is kind of superior, inserting more about the Depression and whatnot.  But still, watch and enjoy.



******************************************************************************************

#334: Eurotrip (2004). 
Who’s in it? A bunch of people I’d never heard of, or from since, and Michelle Trachtenberg.  Looking ridiculously hot.

What’s it about?  Scotty gets dumped (awesomely, I might add), he goes on a wild trip through Europe to hook up with his German pen-pal. 

Why do I love it?  It is hilarious and pretty harmless.  It’s another one of those “Sunday afternoon movies” that I can just pop in and relax the brain for a little while.  The humor is crude, but not to the point that it feels like it’s crude just for the sake of it.  Also, did I mention that Michelle Trachtenberg is really hot in this movie?  Little Dawn Summers, all grown up! 



Aaaaand, we’re caught up!  There will be another full post tonight, and I will hopefully be able to get a little ahead over the next day or two that I have off.  These long hours are killin’ my bloggin’, y’all.  That’s a wrap for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment